The Ultimate Authority
The Bible is infallible, there are no mistakes in it. If you have a question about what you should do or how you should act look it up in the Bible.
- The best bible study bible is the New American Standard Version. It was carefully translated from the original languages. It has cross-references, definitions in the margin, maps, and a concordance.
- com is an invaluable tool. They have the Bible in different versions, and different languages. They have an excellent search tool, and other study helps. And audio readings of the Bible.
- Cross-references – The purpose is to help you find where else in the bible that word is used. Little numbers are embedded in the text and listed in the margin with the text reference to other verses in the bible. (The numbering starts over on each page.)
- Definitions/thesaurus – Also embedded in the text are little letters, which are listed in the margin and give an alternate meaning of the word. For example “spirit” can mean the soul of a person, a ghost, or the breath of God.
- The New American Standard Version also has maps in the back, which I think helps the “story” come alive! The maps are historical and have a lot of additional information.
- The NASV is the only one that I know of that has a concordance in the back, the purpose of which is to help you find words in the bible. A concordance is an alphabetical listing of significant words used in the bible with the corresponding phrase and where to find them. If the word is used often it will just list the locating reference without the phrase.
- All you need is the bible. There are lots and lots of good study books but the bottom line is that the only one you really need is the Bible its self.